Referencial values between Numerical Properties

Sun 25. May 2014, 18:28

It might already be added inside Articy in some ways, but since I haven't found any references or information about this feature, I would like to suggest it as it's a feature that really should have been mandatory since the beginning of the software.

For those who might not understand the title, what it means is simply "take information from one of the numerical properties to affect another whenever possible".
It's a common feature in any calculation table software.

An example of usage of sure feature would be to create a bunch of Properties (Numbers) for "Attributes" like the usual Strength, Dexterity and Intelligence with their unique technical names.
Than creating a bunch of Properties (Numbers) for "Stats" like "Armor", "Evasion" and "Resistance" which would have, for example, their base value based on the "Attribute" given.

This would allow to instantly calculate the base attributes of each entities like friendly and hostile NPCs and to create tables for RPG elements likes stats and even armors/inventory effects.

I might have missed this feature and it might be missing from every page in the Help Center (I have read them all just in case including the PDFs about 2.0 and 2.1 new features and scripts), for if this feature is really missing, then this should be added ASP.

Before some might say "This is already possible with the Calculated Strip from 2.1 or Script ", I must add that it cannot produce in a standard simple way with those tool due to how references are managed in those. The problem is that it seems like the scripted references cannot be done if the Features is not placed on an entity (or a flow).
In other words, this force only 2 possibilities :
#1 : Create a version of the script or Calculated Strip for each entities which would only differ with the reference names in them.
(In my opinion, this bad... really bad. By the time you redo the scripts with the right name for each entities, you use as much time as if you simply recalculated everything and manually added them)
#2 : Create a bunch of dummy entities which would act as "calculators" which each entity script or Calculated Strip would refer to for each related calculations. Those dummy would allow the user to use them as references for the features lists which would include the numbers' properties.
(The bad side to this is that this doesn't allow the users to add additional variable without redoing everything every time.)

What this would require is the following things :

- Ability to reference the value of an Property (Number) inside another Property (Number).
- Ability to include calculation function inside the Property (Number).
- The references should be limited within templates. So if a feature inside a template have a reference to an Property that is used in multiple entities, its reach should be limited to its own entity and not affect or being affected by other entities' templates.

An example of practical uses :

You create 3 Numerical Properties as "Attributes" : STR (att_str), DEX (att_dex) and INT(att_int)
You create a bunch of Numerical Properties as "Stats" : Armor (stat_ar), Evasion (stat_eva), Resistance (stat_res)

In the "Stat" properties themselves, you refer the base default value to values based on the "Attributes.
Inside the "Armor" property, in the Default Value, instead of just numbers you should be able to type something like stat_ar =SUM((att_str * 0.75)+(att_dex * 0.25))
This would make the "Default Value" of the "Armor" property equal to 75% of the STR and 25% of the DEX.
Inside the "Evasion" property, in the Default Value, instead of just numbers you should be able to type something like stat_eva =SUM((att_dex * 0.75)+(att_int * 0.25))
This would make the "Default Value" of the "Evasion" property equal to 75% of the DEX and 25% of the INT.
Inside the "Resistance" property, in the Default Value, instead of just numbers you should be able to type something like stat_res =SUM((att_str * 0.25)+(att_int * 0.75))
This would make the "Default Value" of the "Resistance" property equal to 75% of the INT and 25% of the STR.

If used correctly, this would also allow to add referential numerical data from items entities likes weapons and armor via the references Properties which could affect any numerical property of another entity. Unlike the current "Script" and "Calculated Strip", this wouldn't require to directly mention the entity to refer to in scripts as it would only detect things within the entity itself.

As long as this feature is missing, to be honest, I find more use in Open Office than Articy even if Articy seems more intuitive and easier to follow. I mean... how should we create gaming tables and complex RPG/Action systems which require massive amount of referential data between properties if we must recalculate every bit on every sheets by hand just to input the right values or if we literally have to script the whole process just for PLANNING our game as it will never work in the game itself since it's based on Articy's scripts. The main reason why I'm trying to use Articy is to simplify the planning and management of some projects. This single lacking feature triple the amount of work I have to do in Articy which come dangerously close to the time it would take me to use Open Office instead.
CMaxo

Re: Referencial values between Numerical Properties

Mon 2. Jun 2014, 14:36

Hello CMaxo,

Thanks for your feedback. Indeed, the lack of formulas in variable values is one of the major pains in the current version, and it's at the top end of our priority list - alongside a spreadsheet-ish view. Articy:draft's roots are in story design where such a feature was a little less mandatory ;), but with the current broader approach of the tool it is a must have.

Until then, I hope you can still use articy:draft for other parts of your content creation. :roll:

Sincerely,
-Kai
Kai Rosenkranz
CEO | Nevigo | LinkedIn | Facebook | Xing | Google+ | MobyGames
Kai Rosenkranz
Articy Staff
Articy Staff

Return to Feature Requests & Suggestions